Friday, September 25, 2009

The Man In a Van Project

Put your belts on - This post is serious!
I found out about The Man In a Van Project when walking near Hollywood and Vine, doing the usual LA tourist things with friends who came into town.  At the time, I thought what Aaron is doing was pretty cool, but since then I've been keeping up with his blog and have gotten teary-eyed from some of the recession stories.
My friends and I all wrote our stories on the scroll, and paused to read some of the stories already written. 

I'm jealous.  I wish I didn't have so many entanglements (car payment, credit card debt, etc.).  It seems that all they do is drag me down.  I want to help people.  I'm willing to help people for free - but it seems that even volunteer work is competitive here. 

Crime is rising, Homelessness is rising, more people are unemployed... I have a skill.  I am more than willing to provide legal services to these people in need.  Why can't I find a way to do that?  Why does my story have to be..."I'm a lawyer, with 100k of student loan debt, I'm trying to do better than my parents did, but I can't survive without food stamps."

If it strikes you and you can afford it, support The Man in a Van Project - Buy a T-shirt.  I don't know this guy, but I do know that I'm a better person for reading the stories he's collecting and I want to do anything I can to allow him to continue his project  - even if giving him some unsolicited advertisement, that he will probably never know about, is all i can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment